I’ve posted pictures of this dish many times on my Instagram and Facebook stories and received an overwhelming amount of requests on how to make it! Clearly, I’m not a professional food photographer by any means, but that doesn’t take away from how completely delicious this side dish is. While I have labeled it a Holiday Dish, we cook it quite frequently in our house, but it would go great with Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.
Now, I will spare you the typical blogger intro here. You won’t get paragraphs upon paragraphs about what inspired this side dish. I’ll simply say, where I’m from in Orange County, there is a restaurant that serves a dish like this one as a side for country fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and gravy. I loved it so much, I had to recreate it on my own, so here you go!
- 500-600g of brussel sprouts, cut into quarters
- 4 slices maple bacon (you can also use turkey bacon)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Salt to taste
- Preheat air fryer or oven to 400º
- Wash and chop brussel sprouts
- In air fryer basket or baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, place chopped brussel sprouts and add salt to taste (I don’t use much as the bacon will also add some salt).
- Cook at 400º for 5 minutes.
- While brussel sprouts are baking, chop bacon into small pieces.
- Add bacon to air fryer basket or baking sheet and toss with brussel sprouts.
- Cook together for 10 mins at 400º, stirring occasionally
- Add maple syrup to the mixture and toss or stir to coat everything evenly.
- Cook for another 5-7 minutes at 400º, stirring frequently. You want the brussel sprouts to turn a slight golden brown, the bacon to cook thoroughly, and the maple syrup to caramelize on the mixture.
Here is my finished product that I served alongside some salmon and garlic cheese gnocchi. This was a big hit in our house, even with my six-year-old!
Macro information is going to depend on the ingredients you use, but mine are below!
1 serving: 118 calories; 6g Protein, 16g Carbs, 3.4g Fat
If you make this dish, please share and tag me, @coach_devpena.fit or Arrow, @arrownutritionandtraining!
-Coach Dev Peña
Arrow Nutrition and Training, LLC